Monday, March 11, 2019

Learning about narratives.

On Monday we started learning about narratives. 

Miss Ashley gave us examples and asked us go and read them and think about what they have/don't have, what makes them different from other kinds of writing etc.

We buddied up with someone who is a different year level than us.












We talked about what they had and we came up with LOTS of things! 
Some of our year 6 classmates helped us learn what similes, metaphors and hyperboles are. 


Next we talked about a rough structure of narratives. 
Some students also pointed out that lots of the exemplars had dialogue to start their story because it makes it more interesting. 


Then we ordered them from good to better to best. 
We looked at them and talked about no matter what level you are at (I.e. maybe you might not be ready to use paragraphs) then what else can you do to make it better? We talked about dialogue and speech marks. 
To challenge year 6's, we pointed out how when two or more people are talking, then when the next person talks you start a new line (press enter on your computer). 


We learnt a lot about narratives! 

After morning tea we made up a checklist that we will use to mark our work.
Author:
Checked by:
Narrative checklist ✓✓✓
Capital letters at the beginning of a sentence.
Capital ‘I’
Capital letters for names of places and people
Full stops at the end of a sentence

P1 - introduction ( 2-3 sentences)
P2 - orientation
P3 - problem
P4 - solution
P5 - conclusion (2-3 sentences)

My story has an exciting title.

I have described my characters and setting. I have said how my character feels and what they are thinking.

Speech marks when people are talking

My story has a believable but interesting problem and a solution that makes sense

Punctuation - ? ! ; : ‘

I have used time words to keep my ideas in order (next, afterwards).

I have a simile or metaphor.

I have some long and some short sentences.

One thing you did well was… ________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________
One thing you need to work on is… __________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment